Showing Collections: 1 - 21 of 21
The Brownsville Woolen Mill was located in Brownsville, Oregon since the 1860s; the original main building was destroyed by a fire in 1955. The collection (1902-1913) contains the surviving records of the Mill including financial ledgers, journals, and day books.
James D. Cauthorn traveled overland from Mexico, Missouri, to Fort Bridger in 1865. The diary ranges from March 30 to June 25, 1865 and describes his route, modes of transportation, descriptions of the landscape as well his finances.
Medorem Crawford helped lead emigrants overland to the Pacific Northwest in the early 1860s. From 1864 to 1869 he was Oregon collector of internal revenue, and from 1871 to 1875 he served as appraiser of customs. The collection is comprised of diaries, correspondence and account books. Some of the diaries describe overland journeys. The major part of the collection are the diaries for 1859-1861, 1863, 1864, 1869-1871, 1876-1877, 1885-1886.
The study of rhetoric and performance has been a part of the curriculum of the University of Oregon since it opened its doors in 1877; the Department of Speech also used to offer classes in radio, film, theatre study, and also dramatic performance. The bulk of the collection (1948-1999) consists of records when the Department of Speech was heavily involved with theatre performance.
James Douglas is a legendary figure in British Columbia, from his fur trade days at Fort St. James to his dual governorship of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. His journal describes a voyage from Fort Vancouver to California.
Charles Feller (1889-1966) became an Oregon fish merchant and wholesaler in Marshfield and Coos Bay, Oregon and established the Charles Feller Company which traded world-wide in canned, smoked, and frozen fish. The collection contains company records including ledgers, journals, and account books, fish catch books, commercial and personal correspondence, Charleston, Oregon harbor improvement files, and scrapbooks.
The Amelia A. Hadley journal includes entries regarding her 1851 journey from Galesburg, Illinois to Oregon City, Oregon.
Hallock was born in Utica, New York. He trained as a cabinet maker, draftsman, surveyor, and civil engineer and became one of Portland's earliest contractors. The journal describes his experiences on the coast, daily transactions and experiences during construction jobs. He fished, trapped, observed the weather, visited, and was visited.
The L. E. Blain Clothing company of Albany, Oregon, operated from 1892 until 1976. The collection (1882-1910) contains bound financial ledgers, account journals, and cash books.
Lewis Investment Company of Portland, Oregon was a real estate firm incorporated in 1909 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and Robert W. Lewis. Collection contains corporate records including Board of Director's, stockholder’s, and Executive Committee minutes, cash books, journals, ledgers, balances and reports, and correspondence.
Nathaniel Myer's diary recounts his travels from Van Buren, Iowa to the Rogue River Valley of Oregon. His diary includes descriptions of the weather and landscapes along with events.
The Pioneer Realty Company was founded in 1896 and based in Portland, Oregon. The collection contains corporate records including minute books, stock books, journals, and ledgers.
Collection comprised of Hamilton Scott's diary of a trip from Fremont, Iowa to Walla Walla, Washington in 1862.
Viola Springer was from Sullivan County, Missouri and was an Oregon pioneer. The Viola Springer journal describes in detail her trip from Princeton, Montana to Harney Valley, Oregon in 1885-1886.
Stephens-Weatherford Co. was a timber holding company headquartered in Albany, Oregon. The collection (1919-1945) contains one record book that contains a journal of expenses, and a ledger of accounts.
The Wilhoit Springs Resort resort was founded by James Wilhoit, and was a favorite rusticating spot for tired Oregonians. The collection (1899-1902) consists of campers' records, a hotel record, a stage account, brochures regarding the resort and the area, small black and white prints of the resort, a few pieces of correspondence.
Willamette Draying and Forwarding Co. was incorporated in Portland, Oregon, on January 17, 1870, by Robert, James, and John Holman, and George W. Taylor, and it exists today as the Holman Distribution Center, a warehousing and transportation company. The collection (1870-1871) contains a journal and a day book.
V. Williams was a pioneer who took the California road to Oregon. Journal documents the journey from Iowa to Klamath Lake, Oregon.
Edwin A. Woodwoorth (1890-1966) became county superintendent of schools for Clackamas County, Oregon. The collection contains minutes and other material from national, regional and local education association meetings, as well as correspondence, publications, and daily desk diaries/journals.