Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Albert Applegate (1843-1888) was a farmer and served in the 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He was the son of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail. Collection contains nine photostats of letters written by Albert Applegate during his military career.
John Webster Perit Huntington (1831-1869), publisher, lawyer, teacher, farmer and Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Oregon. In 1857 Huntington met and married Mary Applegate (1834-1878), daughter of Charles Applegate. Collections include copies of 9 letters addressed to "Ma" and "Pa." These letters are both written by John and his wife Mary to their parents between 1855 and 1860.
Prichard left Polk County, Iowa in 1852; was in Marysville, Calif., in 1861; Union, Oregon, 1865-1867; and Rye Valley, Oregon, 1868-1869. In 1865, he built a toll road from Union to Express Ranch, Oregon, an investment that failed. His very occasional letters to a brother, Amos, and to other relatives in Iowa give a bare account of his experiences.
Almira Raymond, wife of mission farmer William W. Raymond, arrived in Oregon in 1849 as part of the mission "reinforcement" aboard the Lausanne. Her letters reflect the hardships of mission life and the ambiguous attitude of the missionaries toward the Indians.
Alvin T. Smith, lay missionary and Oregon pioneer, came overland to Oregon in 1840 and settled near Forest Grove in 1841. Letters concern the Congregational Church and Tualatin Academy.
Lucy Applegate (1830-1910) was the daughter of Charles Applegate and the niece of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail in Oregon. Collection contains five letters that are undated.
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence 5
- Pioneers 4
- Pioneers -- Oregon 3
- Frontier and pioneer life 2
- Camp Watson (Or.) 1
- Congregational churches -- Oregon -- Tualatin 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Oregon Territory 1
- Marysville (Calif.) 1
- Missionaries 1
- Missionaries -- Oregon -- Correspondence 1
- Missionaries' spouses 1
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Description and travel 1
- Pioneers -- California -- Correspondence 1
- Polk County (Iowa) 1
- Religion 1
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Description and travel 1
- Soldiers -- California -- Correspondence 1
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence 1 + ∧ less
- Applegate, Albert, 1843-1888 1
- Applegate, Lucy, 1830-1910 1
- Huntington, John Webster Perit, 1831-1869 1
- Huntington, Mary, 1834-1878 1
- Oregon. Militia. Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 1st 1