Hila Colman papers
Scope and Contents note
The collection contains a wide variety of notes and corrections for manuscripts. The process of corrections--written comments and adjustments to the original manuscript--is a highlight of the collection. Also included with the literary manuscript is correspondence that pertains to the manuscript itself.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Hila Colman was born in New York City, into a moderately wealthy Jewish family. Though she was raised in an upper class home, she was taught early on that she must support herself through her own means. She attended Radcliffe College up until the death of her mother. She specializes in books for adolescents, and is known for her ability to portray realistic situations and characters.
2.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Hila Colman writes books for children and adolescents--specializing in realistic portrayals of adolescent characters. The collection includes correspondences, manuscripts, and galleys.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: General Correspondence
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Processing Staff, Manuscripts Processor, May 1980.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colman, Hila
- Colman, Hila
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Teenagers in literature. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Hila Colman Papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA