Charles Michael Daugherty papers
Scope and Contents note
The Charles Michael Daugherty Papers contains manuscripts of his published works and a small correspondence section.
- Daugherty, Charles Michael, 1914- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Charles Michael Daugherty (November 17,1914- ) was born in New York City. He is a writer and illustrator of children's books. His father was an artist and author; his mother, a children's author. He was educated at Yale University and the Art Students League. He has written and illustrated a variety of books for young readers, most of them nonfiction works on the history of science. A number of Daugherty's volumes are meant to serve as introductions to careers as varied as Army service, photography, and oceanography.
Daugherty is perhaps best known for his work on scientific professions, including The Great Archaeologists, Wider than the Sky: Aviation as a Career, and Searchers of the Sea: Pioneers in Oceanography.
0.95 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Charles Michael Daugherty is known for writing and illustrating children's books. The collection includes correspondence, literary manuscripts, and illustrations.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Charles Michael Daugherty in 1973.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, 1970.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Archaeologists -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Daugherty, Charles Michael, 1914-
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Mock-ups Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910
- Guide to the Charles Michael Daugherty papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA