Seth Luelling diary
Scope and Contents
The diary records Seth Luelling's travels from Cincinnati Ohio to California. Included are accounts of his finances, poetry of Oregon and California by his family members, and a list of names of members of the Luelling Family.
- Luelling, Seth, 1820-1896 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Seth Luelling (1820-1896; also known as Seth Lewelling) was a pioneer who traveled from Cincinnati, Ohio to California in 1850. An accomplished Orchardist, Luelling is best known for developing the Bing cherry. (Source: Phillip Cogswell, Capitol Names: Individuals Woven Into Oregon's History)
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Seth Lewelling's Diary recounts his travels from Cincinnati Ohio to California, accounts of his finances, poetry of Oregon and California written by family members, and a list of the names of the Luelling Family members.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- California -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Seth Luelling Diary
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.