Scope and Contents note
The Harvé Stein Papers contain correspondence and the original art and illustrations for two books: The First Book of the California Goldrush and Galileo and the Magic by Numbers.
- Stein, Harvé, 1904-1996 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Harvé Stein was born in 1904 in Chicago, Illinois. He was educated at The Art Institute of Chicago and Académie Julian in Paris; which is a private studio school for art students. Stein was a painter and illustrator with his medium of choice being watercolor. He also was a member of the Art Students League of New York and is most famous for his illustrations of children's literature.
3 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Harvé Stein was an artist and illustrator of children's books who worked primarily in watercolors. The collection contains correspondence, 1941-1970, and original illustrations for two books, The First Book of the California Goldrush, by Walter Havinghurst (Franklin Watts, 1962), and Galileo and the Magic Numbers, by Sidney Rosen (Little, Brown, 1958).
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: The First Book of the California Goldrush; Original illustrations by Harvé Stein
Series: Galileo and the Magic by Numbers: Original illustrations by Harvé Stein
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Harvé Stein in 1975.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, August 2006.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- California -- Gold discoveries -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Stein, Harvé, 1904-1996
- Guide to the Harvé Stein Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.