Scope and Contents
Collection consists of bible study records, manuscripts, prayer drafts, pamphlets, homemade books, tearsheets, personnel reflections, sermons, correspondence and miscellaneous items. The bible study records include lists of members and their roles. There are manuscripts by Shriver and other authors. Manuscripts by Shriver include "Social Welfare." The pamphlets are written by Shriver and reflect his religious background. There are also homemade books written by Shriver, and they include titles such as "Letters of an Old Homestead." Tearsheets are from magazines and newspapers. The sermons are arranged alphabetically and include notes. The correspondence includes both incoming and outgoing letters. There are also miscellaneous items such as a photograph of Shiver and conference programs.
- circa 1872-1957
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William Payne Shriver (1872-1957) was Presbyterian minister and author who was known for his work with immigrants and Presbyterian missions.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
William Payne Shriver (1872-1957) was Presbyterian minister and author who was known for his work with immigrants and Presbyterian missions. Collection consists of bible study records, manuscripts, prayer drafts, pamphlets, homemade books, tearsheets, personnel reflections, sermons, correspondence and miscellaneous items.
Box 1: Correspondence and sermons, Box 2: Magazines, pamphlets and manuscripts.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- Church work with immigrants -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Missionaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Presbyterian Church -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Sermons Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Shriver, William P. (Wiliam Payne), 1872-1957
- Guide to the William Payne Shriver Papers
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English