Denise Royal papers
Scope and Contents note
The collection includes correspondence, notes, manuscripts and an addendum of correspondence. Almost all of the notes, manuscripts, and correspondence deal with one piece, Ruggedness of the Soul: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer.
- Royal, Denise, 1935- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Denise Royal was born in 1935 to Raymond Royal and Elizabeth Sham Royal in Sharon, Pennsylvania. She married twice, from which she had two sons, Tim and Jonathan Alburger. She studied at The University of Pennsylvania, University of Maryland in Europe, and Pennsylvania State University Extension.
Her professional career is diverse and includes public relations, free-lance writing, textbook editor and later an editorial analyst. She is the ghostwriter of six textbooks and editor of more than fifteen college texts. She has contributed over a dozen stories to Children's Magazine in addition to over forty nonfiction articles. Denise Royal's hobbies include sewing, gardening, music and creative crafts such as collages, pop art rugs, and ceramics.
3 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Denise Royal (1935- ) was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania and was educated at the University of Pennsylvania. She did public relations work, and spent time as a free-lance writer. Most of the collection represents the research and writing of a young people's biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer, published by Saint Martin Press, 1969:
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Notes for Ruggedness of the Soul: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
Series: Manuscripts for Ruggedness of the Soul
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Denise Royal in 1972.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, October 1973.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oppenheimer, J. Robert, 1904-1967
- Royal, Denise, 1935-
- Royal, Denise, 1935-
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Denise Royal Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA