James Smircich photographs
The James Smircich papers contains photographic prints and negatives taken by Smircich that depict notable figures of the 1960s counterculture including Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Stanley Mouse, and Ken Kesey's bus, Furthur.
1. Mounted 11x14 photograph of the Kesey bus. Title:
Furthur... A family triptych. Circa 1965
2. Mounted 8x10 photograph of Jerry Garcia, Mountain Girl, and Pigpen. Taken on steps of 710 Ashbury street, San Francisco. Title: Jerry Garcia, Mountain Girl, and Pigpen. Circa 1967
3. Mounted 8x10 Photograph of dancer at Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, 1967. Title: Dancer, Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Circa 1967
4. Set of 36 negatives of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
5. 2 Unmounted computer scans from photographic negatives of Janis Joplin. Title: Janis smiling, Music in the Park. Circa 1967
5. Set of 35 negatives of Janis Joplin, including above two portraits. Title of set: Janis smiling, Music in the Park, Circa 1967
6. Unmounted 11x14 photo and Negative of Jimi Hendricks. Title: Jimi. Circa 1967
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room.
Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James "Jim" Smircich is a photographer and glassmith born in San Francisco, California.
2.5 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 flat boxes
Language of Materials
Collection is arranged into two series:
Series 1. Prints, 1965-1967 Series 2. Negatives, 1965-1967
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from James Smircich, 2014.
Collection processed by Alexa Goff, 2023.
- Counterculture -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hendrix, Jimi (Depicted)
- Kesey, Ken (Depicted)
- Guide to the James Smircich photographs
- Complete Description
- Alexa Goff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA