Scope and Contents note
This collection contains a variety of manuscript materials including manuscripts in various stages of production. There are also a number of published books in the collection. In addition there are also a number of illustrations in the collection. There area also other items such as correspondence.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Howard Simon (July 22, 1933-October 15, 1979)was born in New York and attended the National Academy of Design. He was an artist and illustrator of books for children and young people. Mina L. Simon (March 22, 1904 - February 11, 1970) was born in New York and educated at the New School for Social Research. She was a writer, primarily of juveniles. The papers include original manuscripts, dummies and art work.
2.5 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 solander cases
Language of Materials
Howard Simon was an artist and illustrator of children's books and Mina Lewiton Simon was an author of juvenile literature. This collection contains manuscripts, manuscript materials, published books, illustrations and miscellaneous items pertaining to the work of Howard and Mina Lewiton Simon.
Collection is organized into the following series: MiscellaneousPublished BooksIllustrations by Howard SimonMiscellaneous Illustrations
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, completed December 1968.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewiton, Mina, 1904-1970
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Simon, Howard, 1903-1979
- Simon, Howard, 1903-1979
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Howard and Mina Lewiton Simon Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.