Dorothy Grunbock Johnston papers
Scope and Contents note
Collection comprises correspondence to and from Christian children's writer Dorothy Grunbock Johnston, along with manuscripts and published books of her works.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Dorothy Grunbock Johnston (1915-1979) was born in Seattle, Washington. After two years at the University of Washington she attended the Moody Bible Institute and Prairie Bible Institute. She married in 1944 and had five children. A Baptist, Johnston wrote primarily for the Christian press, especially Moody Press and Scripture Press. She was also a contributor to various Sunday school magazines, and as "Aunt Dorothy" read children's books and stories daily on radio station KGDN in Seattle for five years. She credited her children and the family's weekend ranch life as giving her much material for her work.
6 linear feet (4 containers)
Language of Materials
Dorothy Grunbock Johnston, an American author of books and articles for children and young adults, wrote primarily for the Christian press, especially Moody Press and Scripture Press, and contributed to various Sunday school magazines. Collection comprises correspondence to and from Christian children's writer Dorothy Grunbock Johnston, along with manuscripts and published versions of her works.
Collection is organized into the following series: Correspondence, incomingCorrespondence, incoming, personalCorrespondence, outgoingManuscripts, short fiction and articlesManuscripts, Sunday school lessons, 1965-1970Illustration layoutPublished booksPublished books, young childrenPublished Sunday school lessons, 1965-1970Flannelgraph materials
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Christian authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's radio programs -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christian literature for children -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Johnston, Dorothy Grunbock (1915-1979)
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Dorothy Grunbock Johnston Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA