Clare Turlay Newberry papers
Scope and Contents note
Collection includes 242 original drawings, sketches and illustrations, three book dummies, and scrapbooks from childhood and early school days.
- Newberry, Clare Turlay, 1903-1970 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
American artist and illustrator Clare Turlay Newberry was born in Enterprise, Oregon and educated at the University of Oregon, the California School of Fine Arts, and La Grande Chaumiere, Paris. Until 1934, she did portrait work almost exclusively; thereafter she produced books and portfolios about cats, for children.
Source: Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2002.
1.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Collection comprises literary manuscripts and book illustrations by American artist Clare Newberry, including 242 original drawings, sketches and illustrations; three book dummies; and scrapbooks from childhood and early school days.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Cats -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cats -- Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrated children's books -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Newberry, Clare Turlay, 1903-1970
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Clare Turlay Newberry Papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA