Scope and Contents
The collection consists of letters, legal documents, checks, receipts, a cash book, a bound domestic bible with family records, and other miscellaneous items relating to James Franklin Amis.
- circa 1828-1912
- Amis, James Franklin, 1828-1912 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James F. Amis was born in Clay County Kentucky in 1828. He travelled Oregon, where he practiced law and went on to serve as the first Justice of the Peace in Eugene, Oregon. He was also a member of Oregon's House of Representatives from 1870 to 1871. Amis died in Lane County in 1912. He is buried in Mulkey Cemetery, in Eugene.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
James F. Amis was an attorney who served as the first justice of the peace in Eugene, OR. Records include letters, legal documents, checks, receipts, cash book, one bound domestic bible with family records, and other miscellaneous items
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Larry Amis.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Amis, James Franklin, 1828-1912
- Cashbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judges -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Lane County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Receipts (financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the James Franklin Amis Papers
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English