Ellis Credle papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains primarily sketches from her books and correspondence, along with a few handwritten manuscript drafts. The majority of Credle's incoming/outgoing correspondence is with her editors at Thomas Nelson.
- Credle, Ellis, 1902-1998 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Ellis Credle (August 18, 1902-February 21, 1998) was an author and illustrator of books for children and young adults. Born in North Carolina, she attended Louisburg College and the New York School of Interior Decoration. Her first children's book Down, Down the Mountain became a Junior Literary Guild selection.
1 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Ellis Credle (1902-1998) was an author and illustrator of children's and young adult books. The collection includes manuscript material from her books Andy and the Circus; Little Fraid, Big Fraid; Little Pest Pico; Mexico, Land of Hidden Treasure; and Monkey See, Monkey Do.
Series: Rough Sketches and Manuscripts
Series: Manuscripts II
Collection processed by processing staff, 1972.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Credle, Ellis, 1902-1998
- Credle, Ellis, 1902-1998
- Fine Arts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mock-ups Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publishers and Publishing Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Ellis Credle Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA