Scope and Contents
The collection includes 266 sets of drawings and 238 complete specification files including correspondence, construction photos and sketches. The photographs in the collection include 20 glass negatives, 42 film negatives and 46 prints of architectural work.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Glass plate negatives and lantern slides are restricted due to the fragility of the format. All decisions regarding use will be at the discretion of the curator for visual materials.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Harold Whitehouse was born in 1884 in Somerville, Massachusetts. He attended Cornell University where he took a study tour of Europe under H. E. Phalps. He began practice as a draftsman in 1902 for Fox, Jenney and Osle. In 1908, he became a partner in Keith and Whitehouse. Mr. Whitehouse is registered in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington. He had been president of the Spokane, Washington chapter of the A.I.A. Some notable buildings designed by Mr. Whitehouse include the Music Building at the University of Washington; the Fine Arts Building at the University of Washington; Anscortea Hospital in Anscortea, WA; Women's Dormitory at Gonzaga University; Lincoln Office Building in Spokane, WA; and United General Hospital in Sedro Wooley, WA. He also designed Episcopal churches in small towns throughout the Pacific Northwest.
75 linear feet (250 containers) : 10 record storage boxes, 1 half manuscript box, 1 flat box, 238 oversize folders
Language of Materials
Harold C. Whitehouse (1884-1974) was an architect who worked primarily in the Pacific Northwest. The collection includes architectural drawings, client files, and photographs.
The collection is arranged in two series: 1. Drawings and plans (1909-1962), and 2. Photographic prints and firm correpsondence (undated).
Series 1. Drawings and plans is arranged in seven subseries:
1.1. Churches (1909-1961); 1.2. College and university buildings (1922-1958); 1.3. Elementary and high schools (1917-1961); 1.4. Fraternity and sorority houses (1922-1959); 1.5. Private residences and apartment buildings (1922-1962); 1.6. Public, healthcare, and business buildings (1916-1962); and 1.7. Miscellaneous plans (1962).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Harold C. Whitehouse in 1967.
Collection processed by processing staff, Fall 1967. This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Finding aid revised by processing staff, January 2019.
- Architecture, Domestic -- Washington (State) -- 20th century -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church buildings -- Washington (State) -- 20th century -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public architecture -- Washington (State) -- 20th century -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Washington
- Whitehouse, Harold Clarence, 1884-1974
- Guide to the Harold C. Whitehouse papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.