Scope and Contents note
The papers include book dummies, original illustrations, and 29 letters from Walter De La Mare concerning This Year: Next Year (London, 1937) by De La Mare and Jones.
- Jones, Harold, 1904-1992 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Harold Jones was born February 22, 1904 in London, England. He was a long-time resident of Putney, England. He attended Goldsmith's College, Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts the Royal College of Art. In 1937 Jones collaborated with Walter de la Mare to produce This Year, Next Year. He authored and illustrated many books of his own, including The Visit to the Farm (1939), The Enchanted Night (1947), The Childhood of Jesus (1964) and There and Back Again (1977). Jones illustrated and designed multiple children's books, including the award winning Lavender's Blue (1954).
Harold Jones died in 1992.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Harold Jones (1937-1958) was an author and illustrator. The papers include book dummies, original illustrations, and 29 letters from Walter De La Mare concerning This Year: Next Year (London, (1937) by De La Mare and Jones.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Book Dummies
Series: Correspondence and Illustrations
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Harold Jones in 1971.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, July 1971.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, English -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, English -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- De la Mare, Walter, 1873-1956
- Illustrated children's books -- England -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jones, Harold, 1904-1992
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mock-ups Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Harold Jones Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.