Harry Albert Herzog architectural plans, specifications, and photographs
Scope and Contents note
Collection comprises architectural tracings, renderings, specifications and photographs for 27 commercial and residential architecture projects in the Portland, Oregon area by American architect Harry Albert Herzog. The photographs consist of 24 images or renderings of buildings designed by Herzog in Portland or for the campus of Oregon Statue University in Corvallis. One view includes a background shot of the “Coon Chicken Inn” in Portland.
- Herzog, Harry Albert, 1893- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Herman Albert Herzog, known as Harry, was born in Tyler, Texas in 1893. He was educated at the University of Pennsylvania. Herzog entered partnership with John Virginius Bennes and practiced in Portland as Bennes & Herzog. The firm's Hollywood Theatre (1926) on Sandy Boulevard, and the John Bexell house in Corvallis (1925), are on the National Register. Other extant buildings include Astoria's Liberty Theatre (1925), Jeanne Manor in Portland (1931). The firm consulted with Herman Brookman on the Temple Beth Israel in Portland (1927).
4.5 linear feet (14 containers)
1.6 Unprocessed linear feet (1 container) : 1 (18.5 x 14.5") flat box
Language of Materials
Harry A. Herzog (1893-) was an architect in practice in Portland, Oregon, in the firm of Bennes & Herzog. Collection comprises architectural tracings, renderings, specifications and photographs for 27 commercial and residential architecture projects in the Portland, Oregon area by American architect Harry Albert Herzog.
Collection is organized into the following series: Architectural RenderingsTracingsSpecificationsMajor ProjectsApprenticeship NotebooksAddendum. Renderings and Photographs
General Physical Description note
1 record storage box, 12 oversize folders, 1 photograph portfolio
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff. Photographs processed by Normandy S. Helmer & Megan Dazey, March 2006.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Architects -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Architectural records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architecture Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Architecture -- Oregon -- Portland -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs -- Oregon -- Portland -- 1939-1959 Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Portland Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Harry Albert Herzog architectural plans, specifications, and photographs
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.