James Huddleston papers
Scope and Contents
James Huddleston's papers include personal correspondence, minor account books, and miscellaneous papers including wedding invitations and a birth announcement.
Among the correspondents are: Jane J. Evans, P. F. Castleman, Alexander P. Ankeny, Stukely Ellsworth, James F. Amis, Andrew J. Dufur.
The Dufur letters (1874) refer to Oregon State Grange cooperative purchasing plans. There are also letters of consolation from the Spencer Butte Lodge chapter of the International Organization of Odd Fellows (1890) written to James Huddleston's wife, Samantha, on his passing.
- Huddleston, James, 1824-1890 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James Huddleston (1824-1890) was a merchant. With his wife, Samantha, he lived, worked, and raised a family in Eugene, Oregon. He was also a member of the Spencer's Butte lodge of the International Organization of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.).
0.15 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 folders
Language of Materials
James Huddleston (1824-1890) was a Eugene, Oregon, merchant. The papers include personal correspondence, minor account books, and miscellaneous notes.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dufur, A. J.
- Huddleston, James, 1824-1890
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Spencer Butte Lodge No. 9 (Eugene, Or.)
- Merchants -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon State Grange
- Guide to the James Huddleston Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).