Scope and Contents note
The collection contains manuscripts, published books, numerous illustrations. Also included are manuscripts in their various stages of publication, correspondence, and miscellaneous material pertaining to the publication of manuscripts.
- Burger, Carl, 1888-1967 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Carl Burger was born June 18th 1888 in Maryville Tennessee to Joseph Burger ( a banker) and Elizabeth (Knox) Burger. He attended Maryville College in Maryville Tennessee and Stanford University. He received his Bachelor of Archeology from Cornell University. He also studied at the School of Museum of Fine Arts in Boston for three years. He married Margaret Rothery in September 18th, 1920 and they had one child. He served in the military from 1917 to 1920 and earned the rank of Captain. He was a member of the American Museum of Natural History, the New York Zoological Society and the Cornell Club of New York. He died December 1967.
Carl Burger began his career as an artist as the Art Director for the advertising firm of N.W. Ayer and Sons in Philadelphia. In addition to writing and illustrating his own books, he illustrated many books and magazines and created large murals for the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium.
2 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Carl Burger (1888-1967) was an artist and writer of children’s books about animals and natural history. This collection, which includes drafts, research notes and correspondence as well as numerous original illustrations, reflects his talent as an illustrator and his love of the outdoors.
Collection is organized into the following series: ManuscriptsIllustrations for Beaver Skins and Mountain MenMiscellaneous material for Beaver Skins and Mountain MenMapsPublished work
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Burger, Carl, 1888-1967
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Carl Burger Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Processing Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.