Scope and Contents
Correspondence files are separated into incoming and outgoing series. A paper finding aid is available in the Reading Room that lists incoming correspondents individually.
Incoming correspondence is arranged alphabetically and is from 1943 until 1949. Writers include Oregon business owners, local government agencies (especially from Klamath Falls), other politicians, and constituents.
Outgoing correspondence is arranged by date, from 1942 to 1947.
The collection also includes speeches by Cornett (1935-1947), and other miscellaneous papers.
- Cornett, Marshall E., 1898-1947 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Marshall Eugene Cornett (1898-1947) was a business owner and politician of Oregon.
He was born in Kentucky and later moved to Klamath Falls, Oregon after serving in World War One. He served in the state senate, as a Republican, from 1941-1947. He was killed in a plane crash while still in office; the plane was also carrying Oregon Governor Earl Snell and Oregon Secretary of State Robert S. Farrell, Jr.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
Marshall Eugene Cornett (1898-1947) was a business owner and politician of Oregon who served in the state senate from 1941-1947 and was killed in a plane crash while still in office. The collection (1935-1949) contains correspondence files and speeches.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series I: Correspondence Subseries A: Incoming Subseries B: Outgoing
Series II: Speeches
Series III: Miscellaneous papers
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1963.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Businessmen -- Oregon -- Klamath Falls Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cornett, Marshall E., 1898-1947
- Cornett, Marshall E., 1898-1947
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Klamath Falls (Or.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. Senate
- Politicians -- Oregon -- Klamath Falls Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Republican Party (Or.)
- Guide to the Marshall Cornett Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).