Scope and Contents
There are over 300 pages of original cartoon sketches, all undated. The collection also includes nine pages of advertisement sketches. There are also two Christmas cards designed by Carr.
Correspondence includes three letters.
- circa 1900s
- Carr, Gene, 1881-1959 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene (Gene) Carr (1881-1959) was born in New York City. He became a commercial artist and cartoonist. Carr worked for King Features, McClure's, and the George Matthew Adams syndicates.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Eugene (Gene) Carr (1881-1959) became a commercial artist and cartoonist, and he worked for King Features, McClure's, and the George Matthew Adams syndicates. The collection contains original cartoons (undated), advertisement sketches, and correspondence.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1968.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Advertising -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American wit and humor, Pictorial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Arts and Humanities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Caricatures and cartoons -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carr, Gene, 1881-1959
- Carr, Gene, 1881-1959
- Cartoonists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cartoons Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Christmas cards -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Commercial art -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Commercial artists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Eugene Carr Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).