William Howard diary
Scope and Contents
Howard's diary chronicles the rigors of his journey from Clackamas County to the gold fields of eastern Oregon, as well as his early experiences mining for gold. He also made note of the weather for each day of his trip. There is an abbreviated ledger of Howard's debts and expenses incured on the trip at the end of the diary.
- April 1862-September 1862
- Howard, Wm. (William), 1831-1862 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
With his brother Charles, William Howard located diggings on Granite Creek in the Powder River Valley of eastern Oregon. He was killed in a mining accident at Granite Creek September 7, 1862.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
William Howard travelled from Clackamas County to the minefields of eastern Oregon to dig for gold with his brother Charles. The collection consists of a single diary detailing his journey and early mining experiences.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gold miners -- Oregon -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gold mines and mining -- Oregon -- Granite Creek (Grant County) Subject Source: Local sources
- Howard, Wm. (William), 1831-1862
- Mines and Mineral Resources Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon -- Climate -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William Howard Diary
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).