Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, sermons, book reviews, school papers and exams, manuscripts, biographical files, church miscellany, and a bible.
The initial donation of 1969 contains sermons, organized alphabetically by title, incoming correspondence arranged alphabetically by last name, outgoing correspondence arranged by date (1930-1965), books reviews, school papers and exams from Nebraska Wesleyan University and Boston University (1931-1939), three manuscripts (final versions), church related materials including prayers, talks and services, business records and reports, minister's round table, new member counseling and meetings, pastoral relations committee, radio broadcasts, and pamphlets. Also included here is biographical information and Nye's bible.
The 1982 addendum contains correspondence (1930-1964), sermons alphabetically arranged by title, notes, poems and prayers, as well as printed matter including bulletins and announcements.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Laurence E. Nye (1910-1965) was a minister of the First Methodist Church, Portland, from 1945.
6.5 linear feet (5 containers) : 4 record storage boxes and 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
Laurence E. Nye (1910-1965) was a minister at the First Methodist Church, Portland, from 1945. The collection contains correspondence, sermons, book reviews, school papers and exams, manuscripts, biographical files, church miscellany, and a bible.
Collection is organized into the following series: 1969 donation and a 1982 Addendum.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mildred Nye Thompson.
Collection processed by staff, 1969; 1982.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- First Methodist Church (Portland, Or.)
- Methodist Church -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Methodist Church -- Oregon -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nye, Laurence E. (Laurence Everett), 1910-1965
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Sermons Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Laurence E. Nye Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).