Nathaniel Clinton Howard letters
Scope and Contents
The collection contains twenty-nine letters by Howard, during his service with the Illinois Volunteers. Most of the letters were written to his wife and children in Pilot, Illinois, in 1864.
- Howard, Nathaniel Clinton, -1864 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Nathaniel Clinton Howard was a private in Company D, 135th Regiment, Illinois Volunteers during the America Civil War. He died at Schofield Barracks, St. Louis, September 1, 1864.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Nathaniel Clinton Howard was a private in Company D, 135th Regiment, Illinois Volunteers during the America Civil War. The collection (1864) contains correspondence, mostly letters to his wife and children in Pilot, Illinois.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Home and Family Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Howard, Nathaniel Clinton, -1864
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 135th (1864)
- Guide to the Nathaniel Clinton Howard Letters
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA