Scope and Contents note
Collection comprises children's book and other illustrations by artists Maud and Miska Petersham, including illustrations from The American ABC, Off to Bed, and When I Grow Up. Collection also includes galley proofs of The American ABC and a rough dummy of Off to Bed
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Born September 20, 1888 in Hungary, Miska Petersham came to the U.S. in 1912. He met Maud Fuller (born August 5, 1890) when both were working for the advertising agency International Art Service in New York, and they were married in 1917. Their first book was published in 1929, and they went on to have lengthy careers as authors and illustrators of children's books. They won the Caldecott Medal in 1946 for The Rooster Crows: A Book of Children's Rhymes and Jingles. Miska Petersham died May 15, 1960. Maud Petersham died November 29, 1971.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Collection comprises illustrations by artists Maud and Miska Petersham for children's books, including The American ABC, Off to Bed and When I Grow Up, as well as related galley proofs and mock-ups.
Collection is arranged by title of work.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrated children's books -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Maud and Miska Petersham Illustrations
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.