Manning Lee papers
Scope and Contents note
The Manning Lee Papers consist of original book and magazine illustrations, manuscripts, correspondence, and miscellaneous material.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Manning de Villeneuve Lee (1894-1980) was an artist and illustrator born in Summerville, South Carolina. Lee studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia. His paintings can be found in many private and public collections in the United States and abroad. Lee's work often appeared in magazines, and he illustrated more than two hundred books. He specialized in historical subjects and books for young people, including Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped, Rupert S. Holland's Historic Ships, and Andrew Lang's Blue Fairy Book.
11 linear feet (9 containers)
Language of Materials
Artist and illustrator, Manning Lee (1894-1980), was born in Summerville, South Carolina. He was educated at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. The Manning Lee Papers consist of original book and magazine illustrations, manuscripts, correspondence letters, and a great deal of miscellaneous material.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Book Illustrations
Series: Illustrations for Periodicals
Series: Miscellaneous Periodicals
Series: Miscellaneous Illustrations
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, September 1969.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lee, Manning de V. (Manning de Villeneuve), 1894-1980
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Young adult literature, American -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Manning Lee Papers
- In Progress
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA