Scope and Contents note
The Frank Ramsay Adams Papers consist of manuscripts of published and unpublished short stories, of musical comedies written with William M. Hough and Joseph E. Howard; of plays, motion picture scripts, treatments, continuities, and scenarios; a collection of published stories and books; published sheet music; scrapbooks; and correspondence. Major correspondents are: Chambrun and Margulies (agents), Cosmopolitan Magazine, Marian deForest (agent), First National Pictures, Fox Film Corp., William M. Hough, Joseph E. Howard, Miriam Meredith (agent), Frank A. Munsey Co., Paramount Famous Lasky Corp, Red Book Magazine, Paul R. Reynolds (agent), RKO Studios, Smart Set Magazine, Universal Pictures Corp., and Jerry Vogel (Vogel Music Co.).
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Frank Adams was born in Morrison, Illinois in 1883 and educated at the University of Chicago. He began a writing career as a newspaper reporter in Chicago. From 1918 to 1932 he was manager of the Playhouse Theater and owner of the Sylvan Beach Resort Co., Whitehall, Michigan. He had stories published in many magazines, including Smart Set, Cosmopolitan, Black Cat, and Illustrated Detective. He also wrote plays, musical comedies, motion picture scripts, and lyrics for popular songs ("I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now?").
22.5 linear feet (18 containers) : 18 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Frank Ramsay Adams (1883-1963) was a writer for magazines, film, and television. He also wrote music. The collection contains correspondence, literary manuscripts, sheet music, and selected publications.
Collection is organized into the following series: Story Manuscripts Early Musical Comedies Plays Motion Pictures Scripts Correspondence Published Works Miscellaneous
Other Finding Aids note
Paper finding aid with additional information available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Lorna M. Adams in 1969.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dramatists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Lyricists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Music Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Screenwriters -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Frank R. Adams papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.