Alanson Hinman papers
Scope and Contents note
Collection consists of papers, including an account book, 1859-1861, and 32 letters, 1872-1900. The correspondence includes an exchange of 6 letters with U.S. Senator Joseph Dolph in 1884 concerning the future of the Indian training school at Forest Grove. From 1890-1894 there are letters to and from Myron Eells, John A. Hamilton, C.E. Clapp, H.A. Shorey, Napoleon Davis, and Thomas Condon about proposed changes in the charter of Pacific University, and personnel problems at the school. An account book, 1859-1861, contains miscellaneous accounts receivable, and records of apples shipped on various vessels.
- Hinman, Alanson, 1822-1908 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Alanson Hinman came to the Oregon Country in 1844 and taught school at the Whitman Mission. He later moved to the Willamette Valley, was collector of customs at Astoria, and finally settled in Forest Grove. He was a trustee of Pacific University.
0.1 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 folders
Language of Materials
The Alanson Hinman papers comprise thirty-two letters and an account book. The correspondence dates from 1872 to 1900 and concerns Indian training schools, proposed changes in the charter of Pacific University, and personal issues. The account book contains miscellaneous accounts receivable as well as a record of apples shipped.
Collection is organized into two series: Correspondence, and Account book.
Collection is located with other small manuscript collections.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clapp, C. E.
- College trustees -- Oregon -- Forest Grove Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Condon, Thomas, 1822-1907
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Davis, Napoleon
- Dolph, Joseph N. (Joseph Norton), 1835-1897
- Eells, Myron, 1843-1907
- Hamilton, John A.
- Hinman, Alanson, 1822-1908
- Indian Industrial School (Forest Grove, Or.)
- Indians of North America -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pacific University
- Teachers -- Washington (State) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Alanson Hinman papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Jenny Palm
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA