Scope and Contents
The Charles Paul May Papers contain manuscripts, correspondence, research, and published books.
- May, Charles Paul (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Paul May (November 23, 1920-) was a writer of juvenile literature on scientific and comprehensible topics. He attended Northwest Missouri State Teachers College, Drake University, and Oklahoma Agriculture and Mechanical College. May has been a regular reviewer of youth books for The New York Times. His photographs have appeared in The New York Times, National Geographic, and Travel magazine.
3.5 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Charles Paul May (November 23, 1920-) is known for his youth books. The collection contains manuscripts, correspondence, research, and published books relating to his work.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Manuscripts II
Series: Published Books
Series: Addendum I
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Charles Paul May in 1968.
Collection processed by processing staff, August 2006.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Animals -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- May, Charles Paul
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, Canadian -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Charles Paul May Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.