Scope and Contents
The collection reflects only the the years from 1947 until 1949 in Dodson's career. During this time, Dodson's chief areas of concern were the alcohol plant (Willamette Valley Wood Chemical Co.) in Springfield, and the development of the resources of the Columbia River. Much of the correspondence relates directly to those interests.
Dodson was heavily involved in the transfer of the war-time alcohol plant in Springfield from the Department of War Assets into private hands. In 1948, the plant opened as Willamette Valley Wood Chemical company.
Correspondence is separated into two sections: incoming, which is organised alphabetically, and outgoing, which is organized by date, from 1947-1949. Correspondence is mostly professional, but there are also many personal letters to and from a Fred H. Kiser.
There are folders of reports on the Chamber of Commerce, public power on the Columbia river, and Willamette Valley Wood Chemical company.
The collection also contains biographical information, notes taken in shorthand, and publications regarding automatic telephones (by Dodson), post-war readjustment, state water laws, and Chinese deities, and also a roster of the Scout Young Camp, No. 2 and Auxiliary No. 3, of the United Spanish War Veterans.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William Daniel Boone Dodson (1871-1950) was born in Madison County, Arkansas, and came to Oregon in 1890. He worked as a newspaper reporter and editor, and also as a salesman. He served as a war correspondent during the Spanish-American War.
In 1913, Dodson began a long career with the Portland Chamber of Commerce. He served as general manager from 1915 until 1933, as executive vice-president from 1933 until 1940, and as director of industrial promotion from 1940 until 1950.
During these latter years, Dodson served the Chamber and the state in both Portland, and in Washington D.C., working chiefly in the interests of industrial development of Oregon.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
William Daniel Boone Dodson (1871-1950) had a long career with the Portland Chamber of Commerce, serving as general manager, executive vice-president, and as director of industrial promotion where he worked chiefly on the industrial development of Oregon. The collection (1947-1949) contains correspondence, reports, biographical information, and publications.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff 1969; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
- Business enterprises -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businessmen -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Columbia River -- Power utilization Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dodson, William Daniel Boone, 1871-1950
- Forest products industry -- Oregon -- Springfield Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Economic conditions -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland Chamber of Commerce (Or.)
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Telephone, Automatic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- 1945-1953 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Water resources development -- Columbia River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Willamette Valley Wood Chemical Co.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Psychological aspects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William Daniel Boone Dodson Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).