Henry Semon legislative correspondence
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the collection consists of letters sent and received by Semon concerning legislative sessions. There are over 3000 letters. There is also a small section of "assorted documents" at the end of the collection.
The letters sent are arranged in chronological order by legislative session, covering every other year from 1935 to 1947. Letters received cover the same time period, but are arranged alphabetically by legislative session.
The assorted documents include billing slips and publicity papers, among other documents.
- Semon, Henry, 1884-1958 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Semon (1884-1958) was born in Port Clinton, Ohio. He moved to Klamath County, Oregon, in 1910, where he worked as a potato farmer. In 1933, he was elected to the state legislature as a representative from Klamath County. He served consecutive terms in the legislature until 1955. Semon was a Democrat and a member of the House Ways and Means Committee.
2 linear feet (2 containers) : 1 record storage box, 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
Henry Semon (1884-1958) was a legislative representative of Klamath County, Oregon from 1933 to 1955. The collection consists primarily of Semon's incoming and outgoing legislative correspondence.
Collection is organized into the following series: Letters Sent, Letters Received, and Assorted Documents.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Democratic Party (Or.)
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Klamath County -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. House of Representatives
- Semon, Henry, 1884-1958
- Guide to the Henry Semon Legislative Correspondence
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA