George Washington Ogden papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains manuscripts, correspondence with agents and editors, literary contracts and agreements, mementos and photographs, and an accounting journal. The correspondence includes seven letters (1922) from Elizabeth B. Custer (Mrs. George A. Custer).
The initial donation of 1969 contains manuscripts, correspondence, literary contracts and agreements, mementos, photographs and other miscellaneous material.
There is manuscript material for eight short stories, organized alphabetically by title, and three books. Manuscript material also includes unpublished (and published clippings of) poetry and story fragments.
Correspondence (1909-1940) is organized alphabetically by senders name, and is mostly with agents and editors. The seven letters (1922) from Elizabeth B. Custer (Mrs. George A. Custer) are included here.
Miscellaneous material includes literary contracts and agreements, book reviews, tearsheets of published stories, mementoes, photographs, and an autographed copy (by Elizabeth B. Custer) of Custer and the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
The 1974 addendum contains correspondence, a journal, and manuscript material.
Correspondence (1920-1931) is arranged alphabetically by sender.
The journal consists of an accounting of receipts, listed chronologically and by title.
Manuscript material includes lists of Ogden's books, a manuscript fragment, and an article by Ogden.
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon, 1842-1933 (Person)
- Ogden, George W. (George Washington), 1871-1966 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
George Washington Ogden (1871-1966) was born in Kansas and educated in Kansas public schools. He worked first as a journalist, as editor for the Kansas City Star, the Chicago Tribune, and the Munsey publications. He later became an author of western stories and novels.
2 linear feet (2 containers) : 1 record storage box, 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
George Washington Ogden (1871-1966) was a journalist and editor for newspapers, and later became an author of western stories and novels. The collection contains manuscripts, literary contracts and agreements, mementos and photographs, an accounting journal, and correspondence with agents, editors, and also seven letters (1922) from Elizabeth B. Custer (Mrs. George A. Custer), 1909-1940.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1969; 1974.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing. Multiple accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Custer, Elizabeth Bacon, 1842-1933
- Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876
- Editors -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literary agents -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ogden, George W. (George Washington), 1871-1966
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Short stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the George Washington Ogden Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA