Edwin William Hampton correspondence
Scope and Contents
The letters, with few exceptions, are to and from family members. During the war Hampton was at Presidio, California, and in Manila, Philippines. Letters date from May 19, 1898-June 24, 1899.
- 1898 May 19-1899 June 24
- Hampton, Edwin William, 1879-1899 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Edwin William Hampton (1879-1899), from Portland, Oregon, was a private in Company H, Oregon Volunteer Infantry. He is said to have been the first Oregon soldier killed in the Philippines campaign of the Spanish-American War.
0.15 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 folders
Language of Materials
Edwin William Hampton, from Portland, Oregon, a private in Company H, Oregon Volunteer Infantry, is said to have been the first Oregon soldier killed in the Spanish-American War's Philippines campaign. The letters, with few exceptions, are to and from family members. During the war Hampton was at Presidio, Calif., and in Manila, P.I.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Philippines -- History -- Philippine American War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Campaigns -- Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Oregon Volunteers, 2nd. Company H
- Guide to the Edwin William Hampton Correspondence
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.