Millicent Ellis Selsam papers
Scope and Contents note
The Millicent Ellis Selsam Papers contain original manuscripts, research and illustrations, various paperback editions; both revised and printed in foreign languages. Collection also includes photographs. This collection is well catalogued with the updated 4th container having been organized with typed notes by the author herself.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Millicent Selsam (1912- 1996) was born and lived her entire live in New York City. She became interested in nature after studying biology first in high school and graduated cum laude from Brooklyn College in biology. She was then offered a fellowship teaching at Colombia University while completing an M.A. in Botany. After teaching biology for a number of years in New York City high schools, Selsam wanted to use her knowledge in a way other than teaching, and thus began writing children's literature on natural science. She was well known for her many nature books for children. Millicent died in New York City in 1996.
7 linear feet (4 containters)
Language of Materials
Millicent Selsam (1912- 1996) was a biologist and teacher who wrote natural science literature for children. This collection primarily contains manuscripts, illustrations, and other materials related to published works as well as various versions of paperbacks and correspondence.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Published Works
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Millicent Ellis Selsam in 1968.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff. Photographs processed by Megan Dazey.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Natural history -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Selsam, Millicent E. (Millicent Ellis), 1912-1996
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Millicent Ellis Selsam papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA