Scope and Contents note
The Harriet Huntington Papers contain manuscripts and photographs (most mounted on poster board) for several of her published books, specifically California Harbors, Cargoes, Let's go to the Woods, Let's look at Flowers, Let's Look at Insects, and Balinese Dancing. Also included is a manuscript for the unpublished Ballet Primer, which Ms. Huntington collaborated on with Maria Bekefi, also mounted on poster board. In addition, the collection contains correspondence, personal photographs and several family scrapbooks.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Harriet Huntington was born on January 31, 1909 in Orlando, Florida to Harwood Huntington, a minister, and Grace Goodhue Huntington. She attended the Marlborough School for girls in Los Angeles, California and the Braircliff School in New York. Huntington studied music and dance, and toured with Michio Ito's dance company from 1929-1930.
Huntington's first book Let's Go Outdoors, published in 1939, was inspired by a child's question about insects and her inability to find age appropriate reading materials. She published 17 more books in subjects ranging from nature to technology. During her career she learned how to take the photographs that were an integral part of the books she wrote. Huntington died on June 12, 1985.
7 linear feet (7 containers)
Language of Materials
Harriet E. Huntington (1909-1985) was a photographer and author of children's books. The collection includes manuscripts, correspondence, reviews, photographs, biographical materials and family scrapbooks that reflect Huntington's career as an author.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Manuscripts and Photographs
Subseries: Book Reviews, Clippings and Miscellaneous
Subseries: Photographs and Scrapbooks
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Harriet E. Huntington in 1968.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, May 1979.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Huntington, Harriet E.
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women photographers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Harriet E. Huntington Papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.