Christine Price papers
Scope and Contents note
The Christine Price Papers contain manuscripts and working materials for many of her books, general correspondence, and background materials. Geographically oriented subject files contain informational brochures and pamphlets on the many countries she wrote about and toured. Journals and sketchbooks contain notes, rough drawings and plans made during her travels, as future reference for her writing and art. There are extensive files of slides, photographs and photographic negatives from her trips, plus some cassette tapes with oral accounts of her visits to particular localities.
- Price, Christine, 1928-1980 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Christine Hilda Price (April 15, 1928-January 13, 1980) born in London, England, is known for her work as an author and illustrator of books for children and young people. She spent her childhood in a small English village and then moved with her family to the United States in 1940, where she attended Vassar College (1944-45) and the Art Students League of New York (1945-46). At that time, she began free-lance illustration, including a number of books for children. Her formal training was completed at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London. Price concentrated on historical subjects, including a series of books on the history of art, such as Made in the Renaissance (Dutton, 1963) and Made in Ancient Egypt (Dutton, 1970). The art history books are illustrated with photographs she took during her extensive travels, as well as her own illustrations and designs. During her life she became a member of International P.E.N., Author's Guild, National Audubon Society, Society of Woman Geographers, Wilderness Society, Massachusetts Audubon Society, and Art Students League of New York (life member).
20.75 linear feet (16 containers)
Language of Materials
Christine Hilda Price (1928-1980) is known for her work as an illustrator and writer of children's books on art history, dance, and folklore. The collection includes illustrations and sketches, correspondence, published books, travel notes, and research materials.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Book Illustrations
Series: Materials for Published Works
Series: Subject Files
Series: Linoleum Cuts
Series: Non-Print Resource Material
Series: Published Books
Series: Working Materials for Publication
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Christine Price in 1968.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, October 1974.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Art -- History -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dance -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mock-ups Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Price, Christine, 1928-1980
- Price, Christine, 1928-1980
- Sound Recordings Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Christine Price Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA