Scope and Contents
The common book includes notations of amounts received and owed, items bought and sold, and transactions with the Portland and Valley Plank Road Co. There is also a record of the weather at Oregon City, Oregon, for 1854.
Among the names of creditors and debtors are: James Scott, David Watters, Thomas J. Dryer, Sylvester Hall, Benjamin Harding.
- Hall, Lawrence, -1867 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Lawrence Hall commonplace book is the single volume ledger of financial transactions and a weather record of an Oregon City resident.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Commonplace books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hall, Lawrence, -1867
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon City (Or.) -- commerce Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Oregon City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Weather diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Lawrence Hall Commonplace Book
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).