Amelia A. Hadley journal
Scope and Contents
The Amelia A. Hadley journal includes entries regarding her 1851 journey from Galesburg, Illinois to Oregon City, Oregon. Hadley describes life on the trail including gunshot wounds and trail fever as well as animals encountered along the way.
- Hadley, Amelia A., 1825-1886 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Ameila A. Hadley (1825-1886) was born Amelia Hammond in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1851, she married Samuel B. Hadley of Maine, and together they made a 130 day cross country trek from Illinois to Oregon. (Source: Best of Covered Wagon Women by Kenneth L. Holmes)
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Amelia A. Hadley journal includes entries regarding her 1851 journey from Galesburg, Illinois to Oregon City, Oregon.
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection has been microfilmed. Microfilm reels are available for purchase, or via Inter-library Loan. When requesting reels for this collection, please request: “Women’s Lives, Series 3, American Women Missionaries and Pioneers Collection, reel(s) 92.”
Microfilms of this collection have been digitized. Digital images prepared from microfilm copies are available from Special Collections & University Archives, and available online through Gale’s Women's Studies Archive: Women’s Issues and Identities.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journals Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Oregon City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women Pioneers -- Oregon -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Amelia A. Hadley Journal
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.