Orrin Stanley papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains letters and blueprints from Stanley's career.
Many of the letters letters are from other engineers, especially alumni of Cornell College. One set of letters are from Frank E. Stanley, a brother, 1900-1902, when he was draftsman for the Chicago and Northwestern Railway, and, 1919-1925, when he was engineer for the Idaho State Highway Bureau. With the letters is a collection of blueprints for C. Camp; N. W. R. R. bridges, culverts, trestles, stations, turntables, viaducts, and an engine house, 1900-1905.
There are also 16 letters from 8 soldiers of the 2nd Iowa Cavalry, addressed to Mrs. Theresa Green of Prairie Home, Iowa, written between 1862 and 1864 from Benton Barracks and New Madrid, Missouri, Memphis, LaGrange, and Ft. Pillow, Tennessee. With the letters is vol. 1, no. 1 of The Independent (Mar. 4, 1862), "published by the Typos of Co. I, 2nd Iowa Cavalry" at Charleston, Missouri, a 3-column broadsheet.
- Stanley, Orrin Elmore, 1872-1969 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Orrin Stanley (1872-1965) was born in Sweetland, Iowa, and educated at Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. He was a construction engineer for the Chicago and Northwestern Railway, 1900-1907, and engineer for the city of Portland, Oregon, from 1912.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Orrin Stanley (1872-1969) was a construction engineer for the Chicago and Northwestern Railway, 1900-1907, and engineer for the city of Portland, Oregon, from 1912. Collection contains letters and blueprints from Stanley's career.
Box 1: Letters received and Civil War letters; Box 2: Blueprints, Iowa railroad maps; Alphabetical arrangement.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Blueprints Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Engineers -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public Works Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Railroad engineering -- West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stanley, Orrin Elmore, 1872-1969
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Iowa Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865)
- Guide to the Orrin Stanley Papers
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA