Donald R. Holm papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes manuscripts, correspondence, published material, newspaper material, and memorabilia.
Manuscripts are subdivided into book manuscripts, novelette manuscripts, short story manuscripts, articles, reviews, radio scripts, essays written for English class, and miscellaneous manuscripts. Book manuscripts include Double Exposure, The Earth is not Sufficient, The Farm in the Wilderness, Irons in the Fire: The Story of ESCO, The Long Chase, Noah, Rejection Slip (A collection of short stories by Holm, with commentary), Reunion Summer, and San Rogers. Novelette manuscripts include Big Medicine Road, Black Money, The Long Man, Runaway, Sailor on the Pinewoods Trail, and Sundown Trail.
Correspondence is primarily professional correspondence with publishers, editors and agents. Major professional correspondents include Alaska Life, Alaska Sportsman, Cooperative Merchandiser, Curtis Brown, Farm Journal, Field and Stream, Ford Motor Company, August Lenniger, Northwestern Bell Magazine, Outdoor Life, Petroleum Today, Popular Publications, and Sports Afield. There is also a smaller section of personal correspondence, primarily with Francis Ames, and some fan mail dating from 1947 to 1966.
Published materials consist primarily of magazines featuring articles by Holm. Full copies of the magazines are included in the collection.
Newspaper materials include carbons of feature stories and articles written for the Oregonian as well as a large collection of clippings.
Memorabilia consists of a collection of 3X5 cards on which Holm's recorded the names of short stories and articles, and the publishers to whom they were offered.
- Holm, Don (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Donald Holm (d. 2002) was born in Velva, North Dakota. He was a staff writer for The Oregonian and author of novels, novelettes, company histories, short stories, and articles. In the course of his career, Holm was the Oregonian's "Teen Correspondent" (though he was middle aged at the time) and the outdoor editor.
In 1973, Holm helped found the Northwest Outdoor Writers Association (NOWA). He was elected and served as NOWA's first president for two terms. [Source: http://www.northwest-outdoor-writers-association.org/]
6 linear feet (4 containers)
Language of Materials
Don Holmald (d. 2002) was a staff writer for The Oregonian and author of novels, novelettes, company histories, short stories, and articles. The collection includes manuscripts, correspondence, published material, newspaper material, and memorabilia.
Collection is organized into the following series: Manuscripts, Correspondence, Published Material, Newspaper Material, and Memorabilia.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
4 record storage boxes
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- American literature -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American newspapers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Freelance journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northwest Outdoor Writers Association
- Oregonian (Firm)
- Outdoor writers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reporters and reporting -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Donald R. Holm Papers
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA