William Geiger letters
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of copies of four letters, one each from William H. Gray, Henry H. Spalding, Elijah White, and Harvey Clark, concern mission matters. All are addressed to Geiger at Waiilatpu. There is also one letter from Geiger (1849) written from his farm near Oregon City, to his brother and sister, in which he describes the country in some detail. The original letters are privately owned.
- White, Elijah, 1806-1879 (Correspondent, Person)
- Spalding, Henry Harmon, 1803-1874 (Correspondent, Person)
- Geiger, William, 1816-1901 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William Geiger (1816-1901) came to Oregon in 1839. In 1842 he was asked to superintend the mission at Waiilatpu during the absence of Marcus Whitman.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
William Geiger came to Oregon in 1839 and worked at the mission Waiilatpu. Letters include incoming correspondence regarding mission matters at Waiilatpu and an outgoing letter describing the country.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Waiilatpu Mission (Wash.)
- Guide to the William Geiger Letters
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA