Harrison Spangler papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of five major series: Wayne Morse, Robert Taft, Richard Neuberger, the Republican Party, and Harrison Spangler personal records.
Files on Wayne Morse include subjects such as foreign policy, Hells Canyon, labor, party switch, voting records and Spangler's research and writings on Morse.
The Republican Party material includes correspondence, minutes, convention files and committee reports.
Also included is a section of Spangler's personal papers. Significantly missing from the collection is material from Spangler's early activities, especially his period as Republican Party National Chairman during 1942-1944.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Iowa in 1879, Harrison Spangler was a Spanish-American War veteran. Upon returning from the war, he studied law and was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1905. Active in the Republican Party he served on the National Committee as a member from Iowa from 1932-1952. He served as National Chairman of the party in 1943-1944.
As a conservative member of the party he was known not only for his opposition to liberals such as Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman, but also more moderate members of his own party like Thomas Dewey. He was a strong supporter of Robert Taft against Dwight Eisenhower for the 1952 Republican nomination.
After moving to Portland, Oregon following WWII, he became involved in Oregon politics. He was best known for his opposition to Senator Wayne Morse. In 1962 Spangler published a book titled "The Record of Wayne Morse." Democrats claimed that the book was campaign literature and sued to find out where Spangler received his contributions. Spangler was still embroiled in the controversy when he died in 1965.
5.5 linear feet (7 containers) : 3 record storage boxes, 4 clamshell boxes
Language of Materials
Harrison Spangler (1879-1965) was a Spanish-American war veteran who later served as a committee member and National Chairman of the Republican Party during the 1930-1940's, and after WWII became involved with Oregon politics. The collection consists of five major series: Wayne Morse, Robert Taft, Richard Neuberger, the Republican Party, and Harrison Spangler personal records.
Collection is organized into the following series: Wayne Morse, Robert Taft, Richard Neuberger, the Republican Party, and Harrison Spangler personal records.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by Daniel Montero, 1995.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatism -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatives -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Morse, Wayne L. (Wayne Lyman), 1900-1974
- Neuberger, Richard L. (Richard Lewis), 1912-1960
- Oregon -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political campaigns -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politicians -- Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politicians -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Republican Party (Or.)
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- )
- Spangler, Harrison E. (Harrison Earl), 1879-1965
- Taft, Robert A. (Robert Alphonso), 1889-1953
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Harrison Spangler Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA