Orange Gaylord diary
Scope and Contents note
The collection consists of a typed copy Gaylord's accounts of his journeys to and from the west. The original diary is housed at the Oregon Historical Society Library repository. This copy, made in May 1939, is 39 pages in total.
- Gaylord, Orange, 1823- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Orange Gaylord was born in 1823. In 1850 he embarked on an overland trip from Illinois to California and then traveled to Oregon. In 1851 he reutrned to Illinois via Panama and New York. In 1853 Gaylord returned to Oregon from Illinois via an overland route.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Orange Gaylord diary is a typed copy of Gaylord's accounts of his travels to and from the west during the years 1850-1853.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- California National Historic Trail Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon National Historic Trail Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reminiscences Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Orange Gaylord diary
- Complete Description
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA