William H. Frush diary
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of a photocopy of the original Frush diary, held at Yale.
In 1850 Frush traveled from Missouri to Oregon by way of St. Joseph, Blue River, the North Platte, and Fort Laramie, where he met his brother John and Kit Carson. They continued by South Pass, Bear River, Soda Springs, Fort Hall, Fort Boise, the Dalles, and Portland. He records graves, the names and homes of other travelers, and ends his account with events in Oregon. The diary contains drawings of Chimney Rock, Court House Rock, profile of the Snake River, and a map of the Burnt River. (Source: Yale University Library Catalog).
- Frush, Wm. H. (William H.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William H. Frush was a pioneer who traveled across the plains from Knox County, Missouri to Portland, Oregon in 1850.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
William H. Frush diary of a journey across the plains from Knox County, Missouri to Portland, Oregon in 1850.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William H. Frush Diary
- Preliminary Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.