Elwood Evans notebook
Scope and Contents
The volume was intended as source notes for Evans' historical work. It relates particularly to John McLoughlin, and includes copies of letters by Jesse Applegate and Frances Fuller Victor, and a statement by McLoughlin. The first 37 pages are a transcript of The Oregonian by Charles Saxton (Washington, D.C., 1846).
- Evans, Elwood, 1828-1898 (Person)
- McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857 (Person)
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888 (Person)
- Victor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902 (Person)
- Saxton, Charles (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Elwood Evans (1828-1898), born in Philadelphia, went to Oregon Territory in 1851 as deputy collector of customs at Nisqually. From 1859 to 1861, he served as mayor of the newly incorporated town of Olympia, Washington. In addition to his historical work, A History of the Pacific Northwest, he contributed many historical articles to local papers.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Elwood Evans (1828-1898) was a lawyer, politician, and historian of the Pacific Northwest. The collection consists of a single notebook intended primarily as source notes for Evans' historical work.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857
- Northwest, Pacific -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Territory -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Victor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902
- Guide to the Elwood Evans Notebook
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).