Scope and Contents note
The Raymond Earle Kerr Papers include correspondence, minutes, reports, and documents of various public and private conservation agencies in Oregon. Major organizations represented are: Izaak Walton League (Oregon chapter), Lane County Water Resources Advisory Committee, Oregon Committee on Natural Resources, Oregon Legislative Interim Committee on Wildlife, Oregon State Access Advisory Committee, Oregon State Water Resources Board, Western Forestry and Conservation Association, and Willamette Basin Project Committee. Major correspondents are: Donel J. Lane and Ivan E. Oakes. There is also a file of material on the proposed Oregon Dunes National Park. All of the files are arranged alphabetically in the respective series. The memorabilia material contains personal letters, photographs, pocket journals, etc. The Oregon History File is contained in a mulit-pocket collapsible file folder and is represented on the finding aid as a single folder. Contained in the Oregon History File is clippings, personal stories, letters, photographs, notes, articles, etc. The material focuses on Lane County but not exclusively.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Raymond Earle Kerr, a U.S. Navy Commander, was born in Minnesota in 1888. He was educated at the University of Oregon and the U.S. Naval Academy. Most of Kerr's naval service was on the west coast. In his retirement, he interested himself in conservation of natural resources, and the problems of air and water pollution, particularly in Oregon. Kerr died in 1966.
Cmdr. Kerr was perhaps the first person in Oregon to recognize the problems of air and water pollution. The files reflect Kerr's activities concentrated within this area. He participated in the programs of the Willamette Basin Project Committee, the Oregon State Water Resources Board, the Oregon Farm Bureau Federation, and the Lane County Water Resources Advisory Board.
6 linear feet (4 containers)
Language of Materials
Raymond Earle Kerr was a U.S. Navy Commander and a conservationist. The Raymond Earle Kerr papers contain material concerning Kerr's activities relating to the problems of air and water pollution in Oregon. The papers are arranged by organizations and subject. The collection concludes with personal memorabilia and material related to Oregon history, with a focus on Lane county.
Collection is organized into the following series: Series I. Associations, Organizations, Committees; Series II. Subject Files; Series III. Memorabilia; Series IV. Oregon History File.
Custodial History note
The collection was a gift of Kerr's daughter, Mrs. William A. Stevenson, in 1967.
General Physical Description note
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Air -- Pollution -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservationists -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Environmental Conditions Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Izaak Walton League of America. Oregon Division
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (Or.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Farm Bureau Federation
- Oregon. State Water Resources Board
- Sports and Recreation Subject Source: Archiveswest
- United States. Navy
- Water -- Pollution -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western Forestry and Conservation Association
- Willamette Basin Project Committee
- Guide to the Raymond E. Kerr Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.