Jesse Jewell Gard papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains political files, business and professional records, civic files, personal correspondence, and memorabilia.
The political files consist of correspondence and documents relating to the Presidential campaigns of 1952, 1956, and 1960 and for the senatorial campaigns of Wayne Morse (1950), Guy Cordon (1954), and Edwin R. Durno (1962), and a file of correspondence about the candidacy of Harold J. Warner for Oregon Supreme Court justice (1950). Also included here are correspondence and minutes of the Oregon Republican party, the state Central Committee, Republican Western Conferences, and Republican leaders. Notable leaders include Mrs. Marshall E. Cornett, Leonard W. Hall, Wayne L. Morse, and Walter Norblad.
The business and professional files include correspondence, memoranda, reports, and publications of Oregon banks, banking associations, and other companies.
The civic files relate to Gard's work with United Good Neighbors, Oregon United Appeal, Oregon Community Chest, Portland Rose Festival, United China Relief, and the Portland Housing Authority, 1941-1960. Materials include correspondence, reports and meeting minutes.
The personal correspondence includes letters from family and friends. An important portion is from and about Gard's brother, Major Dwight E. Gard, a U.S. Army finance officer in the Philippines and a Japanese prisoner of war during 1941-1946. There are a few letters from Harry W. Gard, Gard's father, relating particularly to the establishment of the North Unit Irrigation District (Jefferson Water Conservancy District) near Madras, Oregon, in 1927.
The memorabilia includes citations, clippings, photograph albums, scrapbooks, and election campaign souvenirs and paraphernalia.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1962
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Jesse Jewell Gard (1902-1967) was born in Clackamas County, Oregon and received a graduate degree from the Graduate School of Banking at Rutgers University. He was a cashier in the First National Bank of Madras, Oregon, in 1924, and later worked for the Ladd and Bush Bank, Salem, and the United States National Bank, Portland. He was active politically, professionally, and in civic affairs. His Republican activities were extensive and he served on the Republican National Committee for many years.
6 linear feet (4 containers) : 4 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Jesse Jewell Gard (1902-1967) was educated in banking at Rutgers University, worked for various banks in Oregon and was an active member of the Republican Party, serving on the Republican National Committee for many years. The collection contains political files, business and professional records, civic files, personal correspondence, and memorabilia.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Jesse Jewell Gard, 1966.
Collection processed by staff, 1966.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Bankers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Banks and banking -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campaign literature Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Civic leaders -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cordon, Guy F., 1890-1969
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Durno, Edwin R. (Edwin Russell), 1899-1976
- Gard family
- Gard, Jesse J. (Jesse Jewell), 1902-1967
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Morse, Wayne L. (Wayne Lyman), 1900-1974
- Oregon -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1951- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Political activists -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political campaigns -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Presidential candidates -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Republican Party (Or.)
- Republican Party (Or.). State Central Committee
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1989 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Warner, Harold Johnson, 1890-1982
- Guide to the Jesse Gard Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA