Scope and Contents
The journal describes his experiences on the coast. He fished, trapped, observed the weather, visited, and was visited. The journal is entered on pp. 60 to 158 of a bound ledger. There are a few ledger entries by Hallock concerning a construction job for Willam Sherlock of Portland in 1879. Laid in, loose, are miscellaneous accounts by Hallock, and the undated field notes of a "Survey of route for Hoquarten and Nestucca county road, connecting with Grande Ronde and Nestucca toll road."
- 1880 December 15 - 1882 July 6
- Hallock, Absalom B. , 1826-1892 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Absalom B. Hallock (1826-1892) was born in Utica, New York. He was trained as a cabinet maker, draftsman, surveyor, and civil engineer. He came to Oregon in 1849, settled first in Oregon City and then in Portland. He was one of Portland's earliest contractors.
0.25 linear feet (1 container) : 1 volume
Language of Materials
Hallock was born in Utica, New York. He trained as a cabinet maker, draftsman, surveyor, and civil engineer and became one of Portland's earliest contractors. The journal describes his experiences on the coast, daily transactions and experiences during construction jobs. He fished, trapped, observed the weather, visited, and was visited.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Fishing -- Oregon. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grande Ronde River Valley (Or. and Wash.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- House construction -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hunting -- Oregon. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the A.B. Hallock Journal
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English