William (Will) Everett Cook papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of correspondence (273 letters), manuscripts for his novels, short stories, and one novella, and an extensive western pulp collection containing short stories by Cook. Correspondents include agent Marguerite Harper, 1952-1953, Lenniger Literary Agency, 1953-1954, Popular Library, 1953-1954, Noel Loomis, and Lee E. Wells
- Cook, William Everett, 1922-1964 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William Everett Cook was born in Richmond, Indiana in 1922 and died in 1964. He began writing for publication in 1952 for Popular Library. During his short life Cook was a soldier, commercial aviator, deep-sea diver, logger, peace officer, and writer of western and adventure novels and stories. His hobbies included sports car racing, sailing, judo, and barbershop singing. His pseudonyms include Wayne Everett, James Keene, Frank Peace, and William Richards.
3 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
William Everett Cook was a writer of western and adventure novels and stories. Collection consists of correspondence (273 letters), manuscripts for his novels, short stories, and one novella, and an extensive collection of western pulp fiction containing short stories by Cook.
Collection is organized into the following series: Series I. Correspondence; Series II. Manuscripts; Series III.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Arts and Humanities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cook, William Everett, 1922-1964
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Harper, Marguerite
- Harrison, C. William
- Hogan, Robert J.
- Lenniger Literary Agency
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Loomis, Noel M., 1905-1969
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publishers and Publishing Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pulp literature -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West (U.S.) -- In literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Will Cook Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Vida Germano
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA