Scope and Contents
Herman Brookman presented the University of Oregon Libraries with his entire professional files and library in the fall of 1967. He gave 116 sets of working drawings for residences and buildings as well as complete specifications, correspondence, and photographic files concerning 62 jobs.
Perhaps Mr. Brookman's most important contributions in addition to the outstanding quality of residential design are the M. Lloyd Frank estate (now Lewis and Clark College) and the Temple Beth Israel and the Memorial Temple House.
Mr. Brookman was born in 1891 and worked in New York City with Allbro and Lindeberg, 1909-1915. From 1915-1923 he practiced with Harrie T. Lindeberg in New York City and moved to Portland to build the residence of M. Lloyd Frank in 1923. He has practiced in the Northwest from 1923 to 1967.
Included with the inventory of the drawings and specifications is a list of volumes received in 1967. The University has received a number of significant books and professional journals in earlier years from Mr. Brookman.
This photographs in the collection include a series of 11 portfolios compiled by the architect, including documentation of the Temple, Fir Acres and Menucha; additional images of the Temple, Fir Acres and Menucha; miscellaneous images of other buildings; and a selection of negatives. Professional photographic firms in Portland took most of the images. In additional to floor plans and elevations, many of the images document ornamental details and landscaping, showing the structure as a part of its environment. Some images document metalwork by the noted designer Oscar Bach (1884-1957).
*Portfolio 1: Arnsberg-Eliot*Portfolio 2: Feldman-Goodman*Portfolio 3: Greene-Joyce*Portfolio 4: Kern-Models*Portfolio 5: Nutting-Powers*Portfolio 6: Rosenfield and Scott*Portfolio 7: Selling-Smith*Portfolio 8: Temple Beth Israel-Wheeler*Portfolios 10-12: Frank Estate "Fir Acres"*Box 12: Frank Estate "Fir Acres"*Box 13: Meier Estate "Menucha"*Box 14: Misc. Structures*Box 15: Misc. prints and Negatives*Box 16 (Oversized): Assorted matted images including residences and primary structures
- circa 1923-1940s
- Brookman, Herman, 1891-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
American architect Herman Brookman (1891-1973) practiced in the Pacific Northwest from 1923 through the 1960s. He specialized in residential architecture and designed the M. Lloyd Frank estate, now Lewis and Clark College, as well as the Temple Beth Israel and the Memorial Temple House in the Portland, Oregon area.
17.5 linear feet (26 containers, 117 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Collection comprises architecture files of architect Herman Brookman, including drawings, specifications, correspondence, and photographs concerning 23 projects in Oregon. The photographs include images of design and architectural and decorative details, by professional photographers, of residences and several other structures designed by Brookman.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Architects -- Northwest, Pacific. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Architectural metal-work -- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architecture Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Architecture, Domestic -- Oregon -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, Domestic -- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bach, Oscar Bruno, 1884-1957
- Brookman, Herman, 1891-1973
- Brookman, Herman, 1891-1973
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape architecture -- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Portfolios -- Oregon -- 1923-1949 Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Portland Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Temples -- Oregon -- Portland -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Herman Brookman architecture files
- Revise Description
- Processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.